Here's a round-up of various climate-related activities, initiatives and ideas for actions happening over March and beyond:
- Sign up here for the Norwich hub of Green New Deal UK (GND-UK) who are actively looking at what a Green New Deal would look like in Norwich and seeking to work with partners to develop and promote the campaign. See here to provide information on the type of activity you would like to be involved in. One of the core elements of the campaign is creating more secure jobs, and there are specific actions that GDN-UK are taking under the banner of Green Jobs for All. The campaign is also working on creating a food strategy for Norwich, identifying gaps and barriers to a just food system.
- Read here about #letschoolsbreathe, the campaign for schools in the UK to monitor, inform and educate about air pollution
- For anyone interested in what gets built and where, you may want to take part in the Greater Norwich Local Plan consultation which runs till 22 March. While the current consultation is focussed on whether the draft plan meets its stated aims, it could be argued that new evidence on climate change, species loss and travel patterns should be taken into account. Also of relevance is the Campaign for Protection of Rural England's (CPRE) vision for 'green wedges' to protect biodiversity and the Stop the Wensum Link campaign.
- See here for Journey to COP26, an invitation from Quakers in Britain for all faith communities and none to participate, on April 10th & 11th, in a celebration of our environment by making a short journey to anywhere that is sacred to you.
- See here to send an email opposing the Trans Mountain pipeline for Canada's tar sands oil
- Sign up here to join Living Street's movement for walkable streets to fight climate change
- See here for RSPB's tips on nestboxes and encouraging birds into your garden
Ongoing actions and campaigns (updated):
- Keep up to date with the Stop the Wensum Link campaign. Upcoming events include the Call Out for Artists zoom meeting on Monday 8th March, 7.30pm, and Tracks and Trails, celebrating nature in Norwich and the Wensum Valley on 27th March and 8th May.
- Press the UK government to implement a simple, effective and fair method of carbon pricing: the Carbon Fee & Dividend, otherwise known as Climate Income. See some tips for writing to your MP here. Find your MP details here or here. Please let us know by responding to this email if you are writing to your MP.
- For more ideas for action join Mighty Earth, a global organisation that works to conserving threatened landscapes like tropical rainforests, protect oceans and fight climate change.
What to watch:
- The Boiling Point webinar series gives you the chance to learn the basics of international climate change politics ahead of COP26. You can catch up with their previous webinars on their YouTube channel here
You can also keep up to date with ideas for actions on our facebook page here.
The Call for a Moratorium on the Invasion and Destruction of Amazonian Indigenous Lands. See link here
Tell fashion companies to invest in a green recovery. See link here
Some products and ideas here for anyone home-schooling. See link here
Sign the petition here to end sewage pollution.
Send a message to the Prime Minister (see email form here) on the climate emergency, or write to The Rt Hon Alok Sharma MP, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (email address: firstname.lastname@example.org) who is also overseeing preparations for the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26). See here for a letter written to the PM by one of our subscribers which might give you some inspiration.